
Last Saturday my very good friend and ex sahbumnim and coach David's son Dylan had his 6th Birthday party at Davids Tae Kwon do school. I studied Martial arts too many years to mention. ( I don't want to give my age away ---LOL) David was one of my original instructors and latter became my coach. He was the person i most admired and hated usually at the same time. With the way we used to go at each other its amazing we are still friends. Our children are one month apart. Dylan has been born into the sport. I think from the moment David knew he was having a boy he was thinking world championships. No pressure there. After being in the sport for as many years as i have, dealing with both the good and the BAD aspects of it, I have gone back an forth with the idea of putting my daughter in it. i never wanted her compared to me and felt i may be too critical if she was involved. I finally decided to leave it up to her. Time and time again i would bring her down to the school and she showed no interest in it. In fact it was more the opposite she wanted nothing to do with it. She would watch videos of me in competition and often run around the house like my own version of the Kung Fu Panda. But Emilee has always been more of a ballerina than a Ninja Warrior. I always love the idea that she was her own person. carving out her own destiny. i have enjoyed the fact that i know as much about ballet as anyone else and never felt the urge to correct her or coach her. Its not like i knew the correct form or was an expert at it. It was nice just sitting back and watching her blossom at her pace. Its been a beautiful dance though childhood.
For Dylans 6th birthday David threw him a Karate Party. Emilee was so excited to go. For weeks she jumped and kicked around the house like a scene from the Kung Fu Phooy cartoon that was popular in the 70's. ( again I am dating myself) It was fun to watch and show her some moves. I even taught her Chungji Young. Until that moment I didnt realize how wonderful it would be to practice Tae Kwon Do with Emilee. I saw a mini me with the same determination and spirit I had. I thought to myself. Boy is she good. And marveled at fast she picked it up. At Dylans party she glowed and loved it. It was wonderful seeing the excitement on her face, especially when she broke her first board. it was sweet seeing my sahbumnin, her Uncle David, guide her with an smile on his face. funny I never saw that smile in the Dojo the whole time I was studing under him. After the party she was hooked. She wanted to sign up right away. Who knows we may have a future champion on our hands.
No comments:
Post a Comment