09 February 2006
China In My Mind
In my mind, I am in China.
I am holding you, your tiny little hand,
in mine.
You are not sure, but I am.
Your beautiful dark eyes stare at me,
in wonder.
I say to you, for the first time,
hand on heart...'Mama'.
You touch my face,
and again I say...'Mama' -
Hopeful you can understand.
What memories you hold in your heart -
I will never know.
What fears, what loneliness, what hurt has lived
in you -
you cannot tell.
But, I can tell you - that time is done.
In my mind, I am in China.
Your Grandma is crying, and we are,
in awe.
Your apple red cheeks glow
with the first smile given,
just for us.
The enormity of the moment hanging -
Just above.
The finality, sure and content in my heart.
In my mind, I am in China.
We are a family
and waiting for you across the ocean
Many cousins, Aunts and Uncles
long awaiting you.
A family tree you join, A place for you,
from time beginning.
Today my arms do not hold you -
Your smile is still unseen -
Still, you live in my heart, in my mind,
In this world!...Somewhere.
The calendar crawls, and the days,
trudge - a flicker of news propels me.
And again, in my mind, I am in China...
I am in love...
And you are forever welcomed home.
----S.A.J.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment