12 April 2006
Were Home…..
After over four long years of waiting, paperwork, fingerprints, interviews, stress, country changes, numerous INS trips and reapplications, stress, more paperwork, country closings, redoing paperwork, prayers, stress, updating paperwork, a Chinese lottery slot, stress, even more paperwork, did I mention stress, I finally have my precious angel. I could not be happier. I hate to jinx it, but she is a dream. I could not have wished for more.
There is a reason that we call this an adoption journey. It’s because it is process and there is actually no end. Yes, the adoption is completed but its effects last a lifetime. Your mind is changed, your heart is changed, and you are no longer the person you were when you began. Our flight to China was uneventful. My mom and I slept most of the way. There were five other GW adoptive families on the plane with us so the silver stork to China was a joyous one filled with love and anticipation for our children.
Beijing was so different then I had remembered it. It was more built up and industrial in the 11 years since I was there. I almost didn’t recognize it. The city is massive and the building and construction is non-stop.
My mom and I did all the touristy stuff including visiting the Temple of Heaven, the Forbidden City, Tian An Men Square, the Summer Palace, seeing the Pandas at the Zoo and of course climbing the Great Wall.
As all of you know I am an Olympic freak, but I am sad to say that I was disappointed on the lack of advertisement Beijing was displaying for the upcoming 2008 games.
March 29-Gotta Day, after leaving the hotel early in the morning, we arrived in Guangzhou around noon after a 3 ½ hour flight. By the time we got to the hotel and was all checked in there was not time to really get ready. We just grabbed the diaper bag, cameras, and the donation money and were on our way to the Civil Affairs Office to meet our babies. All the parents were shuffled into a waiting room and the babies were brought in one by one by the orphanage nannies and director. What an incredible moment! There was so much emotion and I really don’t know exactly how to express what I was feeling. It was so intense, overwhelming and totally miraculous. Everything seemed to go by in fast motion. It felt as if you were on a carnival attraction and didn’t know which way to turn to try to absorb it all in. The exchange itself was very quick and there she was in my arms. All the sounds around me became muted and I could only see my daughter. When they brought her into the room she had the biggest smile on her face. She came to me with out any problems and giggled all the way. She has such a wonderful disposition. Holding her for the first time was a miracle. I will never forget that moment.
The following day we went back the civil affairs office for our interview. The Chinese government wanted to make sure that all of our paperwork was correct and accurate and that they felt that we were good and kind parents. After reviewing my documents and asking me basic questions they asked me to raise my hand and swear that I would always love, and take care of Jin Xiu and never abandon her. That was they easiest question I ever had to answer. After getting our official photo taken and a big stamp from the Civil Affairs Bureau she was mine in the eyes of the Chinese Government.
As the days went on Emilee became more attached to us. She was never an introverted child, but as time went on she began to blossom more and more. When she first came to us she could not sit up, with in a few days not only was she sitting up, but she was pulling her self up and trying to stand. It was amazing to watch. Emilee is such a flirt. She loves people and smiles at everyone. She even wakes up with a smile.
On April 6th, the US Consulate declared that Emilee was now able to come to the US. It was such an emotional celebration. It took place at the US Consulate in Guangzhou. There were about 150 other adoptive families in the room and after they swore us in there was a roar of applause and not a dry eye in the house.
On April 7th, Emilee, my mom and I took the train down to Hong Kong. Emilee toured with us like a pro. She never complained once and amused everyone else on the tour with her smiles and giggles. As you can see from all the pictures, we had a great time.
The plane ride home went fast. It didn’t even seem like a 16 hour trip. Emilee loves to fly and played and slept the entire trip. When we landed, people came over to me saying that they didn’t even know that a baby was on the plane. She is a real trooper.
In closing, I wish everyone who adopted a baby my congratulations and I am so honored I was able to share this experience with you.
I thank everyone who shared this long and incredible experience with me. I hope that you can find the time to visit and get to know Emilee. She is hoping to meet all of you soon.
A special thank you to Kathy for helping me share all of the many pictures I sent from China.
Take care
Staci, Rosalyn, and Emilee Madison Jin Xiu
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yep, that is the way it happened! I know, I was right there with you my friend and reding your post brings me right back. My eyes are tearing up as I write. I so wish you guys lived closer to us. We miss you!
Clara is doing great and I just don't even know how I ever lived without her. We are both so blessed with our beautiful daughters.
We definitely need to get together again, soon, as in this summer. I'm working on it.
Lots of love and hugs to you, your mom and Miss Emilee.
Grace & Peace
Caroline
PS. Thanks for the Easter Greeting! The bunny ears are pricelass!
Post a Comment