24 February 2008

Building Blocks for Generations




It really is very heartwarming to watch Emilee play with these blocks. These special blocks are old, and used, the paint is fading and it is easy to tell that different sets have been added to it over the years. They carry with them memories of child days filled will fun and laughter for many generations. the blocks originally belonged to my brother. They were them passed down to me and I can still remember the fun I had playing with them building castles and forts and skyscrapers. When I was finished with them, they remained in a bin in the back of my closet until my mothers best friends grandchild was born. That's when they made an appearance again. I gave Randi * the bin of blocks for her to create and build a city of her own. She and her sister loved them and took very good care of them until they were too old to play with them. They were then given back to me and stored back in my closet. When my first nephew Joseph was born the block came out of retirement yet again. I have found memories of building castles and kingdoms where anything could happen and usually it did. Later on his bother Andrew would add his own memories to the now aging but still beloved blocks. Now Emilee is creating memories of her own with the same blocks that were loved and cred for by so many children. I hope she can get carried away in them with the same dreams and creativity that we all shared. It brings a great smile to my face to see her playing with them. Although its a long way down the future but I hope Emilee can share them with her children one day. If only these blocks can tell theirs stories, What a wonderful once upon a time that would be.
*Randi is now a doctor, so you can have some idea how old these block are--Im not revealing my age

No comments: