09 July 2007

THE NURSERY DIARIES---DAY 3
Day 3 did not seem to got much better than Day 1 or 2. As we pulled up to the building tears began to roll down her tiny sweet face. Mt heart sank and I felt a knot in my stomach. "Am I doing the right thing? Is she too young?"
As i brought her into class she clenched my shirt so tight that I almost could not breath. I felt to bad for her. As I tried to place her at the table with the other children who were happily playing with play-do she looked at me and said " Mommy Sorry, Xui Xui Good". Those words cut like a knife though my heart. Did she think she was being punished? I held her tight and tried to explain that she was a good girl and that she would have a fun day. But Emilee is only 2, how much of my comforting words does she really understand. The teacher than signaled for me to leave. I kissed her Good-bye and told her I loved her and would see her soon and I walked out the door waving good-bye.
Once outside the door tears rolled down my eyes. i hate to see her distressed. i waited in the hall 30 min until I heard her calm down.
I went back to the school every 45 min to see if she was alright hiding and peaking so she would not see me. She seemed to be alright but she did not seem to be smiling or happy. She seemed to be distressed and confused. She was sitting on a mat reading to herself.
Later that day when I saw them playing outside, she seemed happy. FINALLY. What a relief. I can not tell you what joy it was to see a smile on her face.
When I picked her up at 1pm she came running to my arms. Her teacher told me that she was fine once they went outside to play and was very happy when she was doing Arts and Crafts.
Maybe she just has to adjust and get used to the new environment. If not its going to be a very long summer for both of us.
I would like to Thank so many of you for your warm letters telling me about your stories of your children's first week of school. They really made me feel better and more confident that this is a good thing for her and that she will adjust ( I hope soon ).

Above is the beautiful patriotic hat she made on Day 3.
To the right is her 4th of July fag that she made on Day 2

1 comment:

Heather said...

I feel for you both, but it will get better. My daughter happily goes to school every day and she has learned so much. Hang in there.