26 May 2009

CHIP OFF THE OLE TOOTH

What a weekend I had. Saturday we were at the Central park Zoo waiting to meet up with friends when Emilee tripped over a cobble stone sticking out. She went face first to the ground and smashed her mouth into the pavement. When I picked up up I noticed she had a swollen lip and though Thank God, that's all that happened. then Emilee said " My tooth is broken". I looked in her mouth and her front tooth was not just chipped like a jigsaw puzzle but it had a crack going straight up the tooth. Also the tooth has splintered in half sideways up. I called her doctor who kind of panicked me. She told me that if the tooth is dead and gets infected there could be a big problem and to get her to a dentist. That would have been OK, except it was a holiday weekend and where are you going to find a dentist, especially a pediatric dentist. Emilees doctor's second suggestion was to take her to an Emergency room that has a dental Unit. After calling a few Hospital, we found out that NYU has an emergency dental Unit. I called my cousin Natalie who lives a few blocks away and like the superhero she is she immediately got her car out of the garage and picked us up. Thank God both my mom and Natalie were there, because I was a nervous wreck. Emilee on the other hand was a trooper who didn't flinch when i told her we had to leave the Zoo ( we only got to see the sea lions) and her Cousin Justine who she has waited for weeks to see and has talked about nothing else but seeing and playing with her. Her only concern was that we had to follow her Beloved Doctors orders. ( I have never seen a child you has more respect and admiration for her doctor) Natalie drove us to the hospital let us out and parked the car. Upon entering the hospital emergency waiting room we were met by a seen that could have been right out of the movie outbreak. Many of the people waiting there were covered with blankets and wearing masks. New York is going though a Swine Flu Outbreak and anyone who has so much as a chill goes right to the hospital. In fact i believe you can get even sicker waiting in the waiting room. Anyone who comes in complaining of Flu like symptoms is automatically given a mask and blanket. In a sick odd way i has to laugh inside. What was i doing bringing a perfectly well child into a room filled with Carrier monkeys. I checked her in and we all waited outside until we were called. Emilee never complained as my mother constantly covered her with hand sanitizer and was told numerous times don't touch anything and you have to stand still. Every so often she would say her mouth hurt but she never complained. At one point she was so tired standing that she asked me to carry her, the moment i picked her us, she fell asleep. In between i think I spoke to every dentist in the Tri-State area. Most who said they would have to pull the tooth. Then I finally got Emilee's dentist who told me that i would have to wait until Tuesday, but would try to get a technician to come in this weekend to help her. 3 hours later they finally called her in. I'm not even sure it was worth waiting, except that i was assured it was not infected and that she could only eat mashed up food and drink milk or water. NO JUICE. ( This is where I thought i would have a problem. Emilee loves her Apple juice--- but to my great surprise after explaining to her what the doctor said and why she followed the rules to the letter) Giver her Tylenol for pain every 4 hours, and she could not jump around in fear the tooth could be knocked out.
Emilee was amazing patient and great trooper. She never complained.
Fast forward to this morning......
Emilee's dentist is an angel. ( Not only did she try to get a technician to come in this weekend, which she couldn't, she called me every day to see is Emilee was alright) she saved my daughters smile. She was determined even before seeing her to save the tooth. After an hour working in Emilee's mouth she created and fitted a cap for her tooth. She couldn't believe how she had damaged her tooth, saying she had never seen a tooth split like that and still hold. She also could not believe what a wonderful patient Emilee was.
We are now home and Emilee is resting. She is not happy with her Novocaine mouth but she is dealing with it. I truly have a trooper on my hands.

4 comments:

JULIE said...

OMG WHAT AN ORDEAL. GLAD TO HEAR THAT IT ALL WORKED OUT

tricia said...

What a story! Poor Emilee and poor Staci! Glad it all woked out.

tricia said...

What a story! Poor Emilee and poor Staci! Glad it all woked out.

Denna said...

Oh my!!! I am sorry she had to go through that. I am so behind on blogs. I hope to catch up soon.